Upgrading your device? Where is all this e-waste going?
According to Greenpeace, "E-waste is now the fastest growing component of the municipal solid waste stream because people are upgrading their mobile phones, computers, televisions, audio equipment and printers more frequently than ever before. Mobile phones and computers are causing the biggest problem because they are replaced most often."
Sobering facts from the Gaia Foundation
- The number of mobile devices is predicted to exceed the number of people on Earth by the end of 2013
- Mobile internet connected devices have a life expectancy rate of under 2 years
- It's more affordable to buy new devices than repair old ones
- Our attraction to electronic gadgets is increasing the demand for mineral and metal extraction
- 355 billion comoputers were sold worldwide in 2011; 95.4 million computer were sold in the US