Cook Extraordinaire (2 Openings)
Individual is responsible for planning, shopping for and preparation of nutritious and tasty food for clients and staff.
• Responsible to: Onsite Program Manager; Residence Manager
• Supervised by: Program Manager
• Workers supervised: None
• Interrelationships: Youth, Families, Staff, Supporters, Families, Community, Professional Colleagues
Job Specific Standards:
• Plan appropriate nutritious menus that must demonstrate awareness of appropriate portion sizes and current nutrition standards and guidelines.
• Purchase food and supplies to prepare planned menus, maintain snack supplies and all other food related items including dishes. Must include use of agency accounts at local vendors and also use of community resources.
• Prepare food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals.
• May provide appropriate menu items for residents to prepare breakfast for themselves.
• Plan and execute special events including holiday meals, summer BBQs, resident birthday and other celebrations requested by staff.
• Function within budget guidelines and maintain all paperwork, documents and receipts related to purchases.
• Maintain safe, sanitary kitchen and food storage areas to meet/exceed regulatory requirements.
• Provide regular kitchen orientation sessions with new clients to perform kitchen duties.
• Role model behavior which is consistent with and supportive of people in recovery.
Monitors and Maintains Kitchen Facility
• Conducts regularly scheduled internal and external inspections of the premises, to maintain the health, safety and control of the residence
• Reports emergency situations and unusual occurrences immediately to the facility manager and program director or designated staff member
• Communicates all relevant information to other staff with regard to residents, the facility and the agency
• Attends all required meetings.
• Conducts and documents scheduled internal and external inspections of the premises, to maintain the appearance and upkeep of the kitchen, food preparation, storage and food serving areas.
• Adheres to reSTART® Code of Ethics as well as ethical standards of the field
• Complies with all organizational policies and procedures
• Self-starter, takes initiative, jumps in to help when needed without being asked
• Asks for help when needed, or when something doesn’t make sense
• Works well as a team.
• Must be able to demonstrate an ability to monitor others in a responsible and effective manner while maintaining a warm, supportive, and respectful atmosphere.
• Follows through on instructions given by supervisors.
• Demonstrates appropriate judgment and responds effectively to emergencies.
• Must be able to set appropriate limits and boundaries with clients.
• Must be able to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
• Must be able to demonstrate cultural sensitivity and to, relate well and enjoy working with individuals of diverse economic and cultural backgrounds.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
• Must be at least 21 years of age or older
• Must pass Criminal Background check
• Must be free of chemical use problems for at least one year immediately preceding their hiring and must sign a statement attesting to that fact.
• Food Manager Certification preferred, or ability to acquire within 60 days of hire.
• Minimum 1 year experience with culinary arts or cooking for large to medium groups preferred.
• A general understanding of behavioral healthcare practices and clinical operations.
• This position requires some flexibility of work schedule.
• High school diploma or equivalent work experience
• At least two years paid work experience
• Demonstrated ability to work with individuals and groups in both routine and emergency situations.
• Knowledge and understanding of addiction a plus.
• Computer skills utilizing Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel required.
Additional Certificates and Licenses:
• Valid Washington driver’s license with a driving record that meets agency requirements
• Valid Washington State food handler’s permit
• Valid CPR and First Aid Training
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must have ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear
• Frequently required to stand and walk
• Occasionally required to sit and use computer and/or reach with hands and arms
• Must be able to climb stairs repeatedly, have no restrictions on bending, standing or lifting.
This opportunity offers the following:
• Challenging and rewarding work environment
• Growth and development opportunities within reSTART and its subsidiaries
Category: Food preparation; Cook; Human services; social work; psychology; sociology, customer service
Preferred: Previous work experience/training/education in Human Services, Social Services, Security, Customer Service, Facility management and/or closely related area. Previous work experience in residential settings, but not required.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience; 180 day provisional period; base pay: $13 to $15 per hour – DOQ
7:00am to 4:30pm 7 days a week/Split between two positions
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Please send resume and cover letter detailing experience