Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau
Urban exploration is a walking, bicycling, and active form of engaging with the local community. It offers numerous phycial and mental health benefits. For example, a typical urban adventure . . .
- Promotes a healthy lifestyle
- Reduces physical inactivity which is linked to chronic health conditions
- Has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety
- Reduces social and physical isolation which is associated with the occurrence of depressive symptoms.
- Stimulates the release of endorphins which increase the body's threshold for pain and affects mood
- Assists in the prevention of osteoporosis due to its weight bearing activity
- Fosters better cardiovascular health
- Increases awareness of the local environment and stimulates connection
- Improves team building skills and fosters therapeutic alliance
- Allows for an emotional cleansing from the artificiality of the world
- Offers opportunities to connect socially with others