Compulsive Internet Use Scale (CIUS)
The following questions should be answered about your use of the internet for private purposes.
Answers can be given on a 5-point scale: (0) Never, (1) Seldom, (2) Sometimes, (3) Often, (4) Very often.
1. How often do you find it difficult to stop using the internet when you are online?
2. How often do you continue to use the internet despite your intention to stop?
3. How often do others (e.g. partner, children, parents, friends) say you should use the internet less?
4. How often do you prefer to use the internet instead of spending time with others (e.g. partner, children,parents, friends)?
5. How often are you short of sleep because of the internet?
6. How often do you think about the internet, even when not online?
7. How often do you look forward to your next internet session?
8. How often do you think you should use the internet less often?
9. How often have you unsuccessfully tried to spend less time on the internet?
10. How often do you rush through your (home) work in order to go on the internet?
11. How often do you neglect your daily obligations (work, school or family life) because you prefer to go
on the internet?
12. How often do you go on the internet when you are feeling down?
13. How often do you use the internet to escape from your sorrows or get relief from negative feelings?
14. How often do you feel restless, frustrated, or irritated when you cannot use the internet?